Have you ever wondered why Baptists often go around inviting people to church? Well,
you're not the only one. Maybe the following conversation will help answer that
The setting is door knocking during Thursday night visitation. The believer is Dorian Knocker
(also known as The Door Knocker or DK). A man has just answered the door.
DK Hi, I'm Dorian Knocker from Faith Baptist Church and I'd like to invite you to one of our
Man No thank you, I have my own religion.
DK Well then, I would like to leave you with some information about our church if that is alright with
Man Actually, it is not alright. I don't appreciate you interrupting me.
DK I'm sorry. All I want to do is invite you to our services.
Man That's fine, but if I want to go to a Baptist church, I will find one on my own.
DK Okay, I'm sorry if I've offended you. I'll just be on my way. Thank you for your time.
Dorian was polite but the man would not let it rest without getting in the last word.
Man Wait a minute! Can I ask you something?
DK Sure, go ahead.
Man Why do you Baptists do things like this anyway?
DK Like what, sir?
Man You know, pushing your religion on other people.
Dorian knew what he meant and had a ready answer (I Peter 3:15).
"be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" (I Peter 3:15).
DK Sir, let me answer by asking you this. You said that you have your own religion, right?
DK Well, then, have you ever thought of knocking on my door and telling me about it?
Man Why should I do that?
DK Compassion. I mean you wouldn't want to see me end up in Hell would you?
Man Oh, come on now! Are you serious? Who says that anyone is going to Hell?
DK You mean there isn't a peace to be made with God because of our sins?
Man Well, yeah, but it doesn't warrant me going around telling people about it. It's not that big of a
DK If it's not that big of a deal, then why do you go to church in the first place?
The man realized that Dorian had made a valid point. He was even beginning to feel like he had been
"playing church" all his life.
Man Are you questioning my religion?
DK Sir, I don't mean to offend but let's be practical. What good is a religion if it doesn't tell you for
sure where you will go when you die?
Man But who can know for sure?
DK The Bible teaches that you can know for sure in I John 5:13. That is why I'm willing to share
my "religion" with others. I feel it has something real to offer.
"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." (I John 5:13)
Man Now wait a minute. I feel my religion has something to offer too. After all, it does make me feel
DK I grant you, sir, that your religion is serving some therapeutic purpose, but has it provided you
with a real personal relationship with God.
Man Well, sure it has. I think, I guess it depends on what you mean by a personal relationship.
DK By that I mean,Do you know you have been forgiven? (I John 2:12; Ephesians 4:32).Do you have all these things and more to the extent that you feel compelled to tell others about
Do you know you are going to Heaven? (I John 5:13).
Do you have a desire to do God's will? (I John 2:3-6).
Do you desire to always attend church? (Hebrews 10:23-25).
Do you have a desire to avoid sin? (I John 3:6).
Do you have the power to overcome sin? (I John 5:4; Romans 6:14).
Do you understand and respond to the Bible? (I Corinthians 2:10-14; I Peter 2:1-3).
Do you have peace with God? (Romans 5:1; Ephesians 2:14).
it? and Do you feel like David when he said in the Bible, "And my soul shall be joyful in the
LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation"? (Psalm 35:9).
"I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake." (I John 2:12)
"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:32)
"(3)And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (4)He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (5)But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. (6)He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (I John 2:3-6)
"(23)Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) (24)And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: (25)Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." (Hebrews 10:23-25)
"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." (I John 3:6)
"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." (I John 5:4)
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)
"(10)But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. (11)For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. (12)Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. (13)Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (14)But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (I Corinthians 2:10-14)
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5:1).
"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;" (Ephesians 2:14).
The man thought about what had been said and he had to admit that his religion was not worth telling
Man I guess you really have something worth sharing after all.
DK Yes, sir! The Bible answers it best when it says:"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation
to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16)
And with that Dorian went on to explain that the following steps result in a person being born
again into God's family.
HOW TO OBTAIN SOMETHING REAL
FIRST THE BAD NEWS:
1. We must realize that we are lost, sinners that are spiritually dead.
* "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:10
* "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23.
* "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3
* "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:6
2. As spiritually dead, lost sinners, God's judgment and wrath are upon us.
* "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27.
* "For which things' sake [sin] the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience
[sinners]:" Colossians 3:6.
3. Our good works can't stop this judgment and wrath. God demands death as payment
* "Not of works..." Ephesians 2:8,9.
* "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:" Romans 3:10.
* "the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4
* "For the wages of sin is death;" Romans 6:23.
NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!
4. God is willing to accept someone else's death in our place. That someone is Jesus Christ.
* "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who
gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." I Timothy 2:5-6
* "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for
us." Romans 5:8
5. Jesus has bought salvation for us and now God can offer it as a gift by grace.
* "Ye are bought with a price;" I Corinthians 7:23.
* "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not
of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8,9
How does someone accept this gift? Through repentance and faith.
REPENTANCE: means to change your mind and adapt an attitude of not sinning against God.
FAITH: means to simply take God at His Word, i.e., believe the verses you have just read.
* "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward
our Lord Jesus Christ." Acts 20:21
* "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13
6. Upon being saved and born again spiritually, we become converted to a new creature in
* "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall
not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3
* "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold,
all things are become new." II Corinthians 5:17
3303 23rd Avenue SouthWest
Fargo, North Dakota 58103
Speaking the truth in love
(701) 232-5500 Pastor T. C. Scheving Schedule of Services Sunday School . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9:30 a.m.
Sunday Morning Worship . . . . . 10:30 a.m.
Sunday Evening Service . . . . . . . 6:00 p.m.
Proteens (Wednesday) . . . . . . . . 6:45 p.m.
Wednesday Bible Study . . . . . . . 7:00 p.m.
[Christian Helps Ministry (USA)] [Christian Home Bible Course]