/ \ E/ E \ H/ G M \ T/ D A \ / I N \ / R ' \ / B S \ SON A BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATION
IN POETIC FORM
THE BRIDGE MAN'S SON Up on a hill, A man and his son.
Eating their lunch, and having some fun.
Below was a drawbridge, Up, opened it rose.
The man was the bridge man, Whose job was to close.
And when they had eaten, A whistle then blew.
A train was approaching, For sure, the man knew.
The train was fast moving, And no time to waste.
The man and his son, Went down with great haste.
He came to the drawbridge, Lost sight of his son.
"I'll look for him later" The train was to come.
The bridge started closing, In time, so it seemed.
When all of a sudden, The man heard a scream!
Under the drawbridge, And frozen with fear.
Somehow his son, Was caught in a gear.
A train full of people, Was in a great rush.
If down came the drawbridge, His son would be crushed.
One life for many, This it came down to.
No time to think, What would the man do?
The man made a choice, With tears in his eyes.
Down came the drawbridge, His son would soon die.
The train went on by, With no need to brake.
Unknown to the people, He died for their sake.
He cried out to them, "I gave you my son!"
But no one noticed, This train on the run.
Don't think it sad, What this man had done.
For God did it first, He gave us His Son.
II Timothy 2:24-26
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever
believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." JOHN 3:16
If you died today, are you 100% sure you would
go to Heaven? ... The Bible says you can be!
* "These things have I written...that ye may
know that ye have eternal life" I John 5:13.
A. You must understand where you stand with God.
1. God loves you and wants you in Heaven forever with Him.
* "God so loved the world" John 3:16.
2. However, your sins separate you and God.
* "your iniquities have separated between you and your God,"
3. That includes everyone.
* "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
* Jesus died on the cross 2000 years ago to pay for sins.
B. You must understand that Heaven cannot be earned.
1. Not by doing enough good things.
* "Not by works of righteousness which we have done,
but according to his mercy he saved us..." Titus 3:5.
2. Not by being baptized, joining a church, or obeying the
* "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that
not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works,
lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
* The price for your sins must be paid, but to bypass the
death of Christ and try to earn your own way to Heaven
is an insult to God.
C. You must be willing to change your direction.
1. Sin will take you to Hell.
* "the wages of sin is death;" Romans 6:23.
2. Pride and self righteousness will cause you to miss Heaven.
* Prov. 6:16-19; Rom. 10:2-3; Luke 13:2-5; Matt. 5:20; Rom. 3:28
"(16)These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: (17)A proud look...." (Proverbs 6:16-19)
"(3)For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God." (Romans 10:2-3)
"(2)And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? (3)I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (4)Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? (5)I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (Luke 13:2-5)
"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." (Romans 3:28)
3. Faith in yourself, your baptism, or your church will
cause you to miss Heaven.
* Rom. 3:24-25; John 1:12-13; Mark 7:6-13; John 3:3
"(24)Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (25)Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" (Romans 3:24-25).
"(12)But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (13)Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13)
"(6)He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. (7)Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (8)For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. (9)And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. (10)For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: (11)But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free. (12)And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother; (13)Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye." (Mark 7:6-13)
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)
4. You must be willing to repent.
* "Repent ye therefore, and be converted," Acts 3:19.
* "The Lord is...not willing that any should perish, but
that all should come to repentance." II Pet. 3:9
* Repentance means to change your mind or attitude about sin.
D. You must believe in Jesus Christ with your heart.
1. A head knowledge about religion never got anyone to Heaven.
* "the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:19
2. Contrary to popular opinion, according to the Bible, most
people will not go to Heaven when they die.
* "narrow is the way...few there be that find it."
3. You must receive Jesus Christ by faith as your personal Saviour.
* "being justified by faith" Romans 5:1.
* Eternal life was paid for with the shed blood of Christ. Accept
it as a free gift.
* "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be
saved." Romans 10:13
* If you have any further questions, please call the
church office at 232-5500.
Fargo Baptist Church 3303 23rd Avenue SouthWest
Fargo, North Dakota 58103
Speaking the truth in love
(701) 232-5500 Pastor T.C. Scheving Schedule of Services Sunday School . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9:30 a.m.
Sunday Morning Worship . . . . 10:30 a.m.
Sunday Evening Service . . . . . . . 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday Bible Study . . . . . . . 7:00 p.m.
[Christian Helps Ministry (USA)] [Christian Home Bible Course]